|Travis Carter Maddox
|Name||Travis Carter Maddox|
|Family||Shepley (cousin); Jim (father); Diane (mother - deceased); Thomas (brother); Trenton Maddox (brother); Tyler (brother); Taylor (brother); Jessica (daughter); James (son); Unborn third child (son)|
|Job||Student, criminal justice major (previously); underground fighter (previously); FBI agent (currently)|
Travis Maddox is the male lead of Beautiful Disaster, and sophomore at Eastern State University. He drives a Harley Nightrod motorcycle. He is notorious at Eastern State for being quick to anger, tough, and avoids commitment. He is a member of the Sigma Tau fraternity, undefeated in The Circle--an underground fight ring where he is known as "Mad-Dog", and is the youngest of five brothers. His mother Diane died of cancer when he was three years old, Trent was five years old and Thomas was eleven. He married Abby in Las Vegas when they were nineteen and twenty and he is also the father of James and Jessica Maddox, and their unborn third child, a boy.
Travis is described as lean and muscular, and covered in tattoos. He's tall, has buzzed brown hair, brown eyes, and a deep dimple in his left cheek. He also has a cut on one of his eyebrows.
Travis is witty, cool, aggressive, cocky and impulsive. He is also magnetic, volatile and controlling. He gets what he wants and never loses a fight. Travis is described often as charming and alluring. Cami refers to him as "sex on a stick" in Beautiful Oblivion. Abby refers to him as "every woman's dream" in Beautiful Disaster. However, Travis is described as intelligent, and seems to sail through his classes easily. This is proven true when he helps Abby study and pass her biology test. There are also references to him writing term papers with ease. Travis admits that Abby is the second woman he has ever loved, the first being his mother. Travis shows his jealousy by resorting to violence against other men who try to get close to Abby. He is very protective and passionate about the things he loves. Travis seems to be horrible at poker, but makes up for it with fighting abilities. He's also an ace in pool. Abby calms him just as much as she gets under his skin. He becomes less violent and aggressive once Abby offers some assurance.
Travis Maddox first met Abby in an underground fight event where he protected her from some guys who kept on pushing her. He was initially interested in Abby because she, unlike all the other girls, did not throw herself at him. Abby, being Abby, did not want his attention and all the other nosy bodies of Eastern State University, but Travis tricked her into a bet. If Travis loses, he, the 'sex on a stick' of Eastern State University, will stay abstinent for a month, but if Abby loses, she will stay with Travis in his apartment for a month. Of course, the bad boy met his match. Travis finds himself drawn to her but doesn't fully understand what he is feeling, having never been in love before. Travis eventually falls for Abby...hard, and vice versa, though Abby did not admit it immediately. Once Travis realizes he has feelings for Abby, he becomes determined to be good enough for her.
Travis refers to Abby as the "Pigeon" or lovingly called "Pidge". He later explains that the nickname symbolizes a winning card in poker, a beautiful woman, a dove.
Shepley and Travis are cousins and best friends. They have grown up together like brothers. They have always been close especially while living together in college. They always support each other. It was also said in the book that Travis was usually the cause of Shepley and his past girlfriends' breakups (not because of infidelity, but because a friend/cousin of the girlfriend will hookup with Travis, thinking they'd be together, but--no, just no.)
Jessica and James are Travis's twin children. They are introduced at the 'Walking Disaster' epilogue. Travis described Jessica as his 'mini me' but with an angelic face. Jessica always sticks up for her brother even though he wants to fight his own battles in school. The epilogue ends with Abby being pregnant with their third child, another boy.
In the BooksEdit
In Beautiful Disaster, Travis Maddox makes a bet with Abby Abernathy that will either result in him being celibate for a month or Abby staying at his apartment for a month. Even though Travis's gambling abilities aren't anything compared to Abby's, he wins the bet. Needless to say a lot happens within a month while Abby stays with Travis. Love blooms and Travis turns over a new leaf.
Abby Abernathy tries to be a good girl so she wears cardigans but she can drink anyone under the table. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
- “A Toast.. To douchebags! he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her."
- “I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”
- “I don't want to sleep with you, Pidge. I like you too much.”
- “I feel like any second you're going to figure out what a piece of shit I am and leave me.”
- “I like the au naturel thing you have going on. Girls don't come over here like that."
- His eyebrows pulled in. "I can't win with you. I can't win with you! You say you're done...I'm fucking miserable over here! I had to break my phone into a million pieces to keep from calling you every minute of the damn day-I've had to play it off like everything is just fine at school so you can be happy...and you're fucking mad at me? You broke my fuckin' heart!" His last words echoed into the night.”
- According to Jamie McGuire, "Pigeon" is a reference to the movie "Lady and the Tramp". Tramp calls Lady "Pigeon" the first time they meet. In the book, a "pigeon" is also a winner card in poker, a beautiful woman, and a dove.
- In the companion novel, it is revealed that Travis discontinues fighting in The Circle, and goes on to make good money as a personal trainer until he is recruited by the FBI shortly after graduating with a degree in criminal justice.
- McGuire admits that the character of Travis is based off of a man who she had a crush on in college.